Thursday, February 28, 2013

Granola: family style and Paleo



Before Hubs wooed me and won my heart I was a single gal living in a large foreign city and loving life.  I also was not a consistent cook.  I had my moments of glory.  Moments where it seemed domesticity was my middle name and I was going to conquer all cobwebs and dirty toilets   I had blissful glimpses of what being a wife would look like and I dreamed of it daily.  I wanted to be a wife and mother.
But those were fleeting glances.  I was definitely a bachelorette living like a bachelorette with fleeting moments of wife-hood...ness? Wifehoodness? 
Anyway, the thing that shocked me most about marriage was that my adorable Hubs wanted meals... big meals, like three meals a day, with all food groups present.  Seriously? I have to give you vegetables? And protein? And carbs?.... Three times? Well, maybe twice he wants a full balanced meal and breakfast can be easier.  What can I say? Marriage has changed him too! But if Hubs had his way he'd be eating Chinese breakfast aka soybean soup, Chinese "donuts", pork buns, and rice porridge.
Anyway, I could eat (and do eat when Hubs is gone) cereal for 3 meals a day. It's got your fruit, your dairy, and your grains. Cereal is all I require to survive.  Well, cereal and popcorn. But my love for popcorn is another topic for another day.
With cereal, I especially love granola! I love love LOVE granola. It's got this tangy saltiness, tart dried fruit and sweet undertones of the honey melting into one beautiful dish. I love granola!

Recently, I started doing paleo and was a bit sad to realize that I couldn't eat cereal.   Well, I recently discovered this beautiful website full of glorious recipes and one of them being GRANOLA.
So I adapted it (didn't need that much sweetness) and have made my own combining my Grandmother's wisdom and my desire to cut back on refined sugars and processed carbs.
So without further ado; Schupbach Style Granola and Joanna's Adapted Granola!
Make, Eat and then softly sigh knowing that all is right in life when one can enjoy a bowl of cereal

Schupbach Style
7 c. oats
1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
1 c. almond slivers
1/2 c. honey
2/3 c. oil
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
Place in 2 jelly roll pans and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally   When cool, add 1 c. raisins.  Store in air tight container.

Joanna's Paleo Adapted Granola
2 c. almond slivers
2 c. chopped pecans
2 c. sunflower seeds
2 c. unsweetened coconut shredded
1/2  c. honey
1 c. melted coconut oil
salt
cinnamon
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and sniffing the sweet air of deliciousness. When cool, add craisins.  Store in air tight container.

Now, if you don't mind, I have some granola to take out of the oven, cool it and eat it.
What do you like in your granola?

2 comments:

kyle and jennifer said...

yum! i love granola - with milk or mixed in yogurt! thanks for the recipes. btw... i want to hear more about paleo please!

Kandice said...

Just read through your moms in ministry series, so fun! And I knew most of these women, it was precious to hear from them as mothers now! Praise God! It was 10 yrs ago we were all first in Japan, can you believe that? We are currently in lanuage school, getting ready for our next step...would love to reconnect. -kandice