Tuesday, August 14, 2012

(Day 14) Never a Mistake

This may look like an ordinary journal and it really is just that.
Ordinary.
My best friend Kelli had this exact journal when I went to visit her in the Spring of 2010 and when I saw it I was immediately in love with it.  I don't know what struck me with this particular journal.  I blame it partially on Kel whose handwriting is so lovely and such an old friend to me that I was probably enchanted mostly with her penmanship moreso than the actual book.

I bought one, and promptly started using it.  About ten pages into the book I realized, "ohmy! this is going to take forever to fill up and I'll be stuck with this ugly old book forever"... I love journals, I love new journals, I love colorful fun and exciting journals.  So what I was doing with a black journal I have no idea.  Again I (partially) blame Kel's beautiful handwriting and use of colorful pens.  Darn you pinks, blues and greens.  You get me every time.

Anyway, not only do I love new journals but I also highly value "change and variety" as has been proven by a test the Navigators give me and proven true by the fact I change the layout of my apartment about six times a year (I painted my bedroom yesterday but more to come on that later).

Well, the black, ordinary (cough* boring) journal has won me over after all this time.  It has been WONDERFUL to go back through talks I heard and journaled on, encouraging receipts from time spent with friends and going back two years worth of writing to see in one book what God has done in this time.

Today I was thinking about Oswald Chambers' writing on letting the Lord have His way with you, admonishing and chastising you... and that reminded me of a talk I heard about Lila Trotman who was quoted as saying, "Pray that God will make you a woman of His, no matter the cost"... so I went back to see that talk and to reflect on it (two years ago September) when I stumbled on the poem that Lila was reading when Daws, her husband died, "He Maketh No Mistake".

I wanted to include it here to encourage you all (and myself) that no matter what we are facing, God never makes a mistake.
My Father's way may twist and turn
My heart may throb and ache
But in my soul I am glad to know,
He maketh no mistake.

My cherished plans may go astray,
My hopes may fade away,
But still I'll trust my Lord to lead,
for He doth know the way.

Tho' night be dark and it may seem,
that day will never break,
I'll pin my faith, my all, in Him,
He maketh no mistake.

There's so much now I cannot see,
my eyesight far too dim,
but come what may,
I'll simply trust and leave it all to Him.

For by and by the mist will lift, 
and plain it all He'll make,
Through all the way, tho' dark to me
He made not one mistake.
~A.M. Overton, 1932

And while this "Amish Challenge" has been good to give me discipline and simplify life, I don't want to confuse "doing" with "abiding".  This poem was good to remind me that at the heart of simplicity is trust and that trust is always "worth it" because of the One we put our trust in.


If you're in a tight place now or just feeling low, I pray that it will encourage you to know that God knows what He is doing.

1 comment:

Kelli B said...

LOVE!

I cherish your writing as well, my friend. Without those Japanese markers, I'd be nowhere near as flowery or decorative in my journaling :)

I love this journal for the same reason you do: it lasts forever, and it keeps so many years of journaling wrapped in one. It's great to reflect sometimes by looking back at all that we've experienced. It's a keeper. Such a hidden gem in the plain, black cover.