Wednesday, February 18, 2009

discovering some nubbins of good advice

I'm trying a new thing where a read 5 Psalms a day and 1 Proverb before starting my bible study. And I have to say, I LOVE PROVERBS!!!

I never understood the importance of both proverbs and psalms. In my mind they were both in the category of good feeling sayings that you can write on a post-it and pin up on your corkboard (ohh how i love corkboards!). I never took the time to read psalms and proverbs at the same time and now that I am I realize how vastly different they are.

I am LOVING Proverbs right now. Want advice on how to make good decisions and not be a fool? Hello?!? Right there midway through the bible... little nubs of advice on how to be wise, discerning, and God-fearing. I love it.

Here are some I have been feasting my eyes and heart upon....

*A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlook an insult.* Pr. 12:16

*Pride only breeds quarrels but wisdsom is found in those who take advice.* 13:10

*Hope deferred makes the heart sick but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.* 13:12

*The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.* 18:10

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I've always loved Proverbs, but haven't read it in some time. I recently started reading it again, both in the New American Standard and The Message. It sheds some new light on the familiar passages reading them this way.
r

jamie said...

love that you are able to read proverbs- i'm still going through them too!
thanks for the bday card- super sweet of you!

love ya