Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Skippy Dippy Dango

Oh me, oh my! What is this delicious looking dish?
Last night I digged into my family/friends recipe book that I received for a wedding gift and found this little nugget of a menu item.
Two Bean Tamale Pie
try saying that five times fast!
Two Bean Tamale Pie two bean tamale pie, two bean mamaleee... oh grrr!
As I was saying... Two Bean Tamale Pie hails from the kitchen of cooking extraordinare Mrs Jonah Schupbach, as they'd say in the 50's or Becca Schupbach (my sister-in-law although more like a SFR)... anyway!

This pie changed my life. It's the unique blend of salty and sweet with a hint of hot!! I'm in love!
Here's the recipe; I added tabasco sauce at the end and nixed the sour cream
Eat! Enjoy! And just trrrry not devouring it in one sitting! Seriously yummy!


1 C chopped green sweet pepper (1 large)
1/2 C chopped onion (1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T cooking oil
1 15oz. can pinto beans, rinsed, drained and slightly mashed
1 15oz. can kidney beans, rinsed, drained and slightly mashed
1 6oz. can (or 2/3cup) vegetable juice (Becca uses low sodium)
1 4oz can diced green peppers, undrained
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 8 1/2oz. package corn muffin mix (I used jiffy)
1/2C shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
1/4C snipped fresh cilantro or parsley

**Grease a 2-quart square baking dish or 10-inch quiche dish; set aside. Preheat oven 400 degrees. In a medium skillet cook sweet pepper, onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in kidney beans, pinto beans, vegetable juice, chile peppers, chili powder and cumin; heat through. Spoon bean mixture into prepared dish. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; add cheese and cilantro, stirring just until combined. Spoon cornbread mixture evenly over the top of the bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until golden. Serve with salsa, sour cream or if you are me, tabasco!**
Eat! Enjoy! And know that if you were to die, you'd have a smile on your face....
well, let's be real. This isn't a fulfillment of anything but satisfying your hunger. I may have embellished how good this pie is by saying that.....

oh it's so yummy....
i just might have to sneak in the kitchen for my tasty leftovers...
ohhhh soooo delic!

2 comments:

Ed said...

Looks good.

How did it change your life?

Will that require medical treatment?

A concerned Dad.

p.s. The word verification for this comment is "dreelita" ... which would be a good name for a Spanish pie like this.

"Say that you and your Spanish pies will wait for me..." (Dreelita!)

Anonymous said...

YUM. YUM YUM YUM. This may be on tomorrow night's agenda. Did I mention "yum"? :)