Saturday, May 01, 2010

Cookies for Your Waistline

I love sweets.  It's true.  Ask my husband what my favorite thing to eat is and he'll reply, "ice cream" cause it's true.  It is.  There is nothing better than ice cream and now that I live in California I can divulge myself into yogurt shops across the county.  I could eat my way through all the yogurtlands across So Cal.
Hmmmm... not a bad idea. (p.s. they have their new flavors out!~ peanut butter cup and lychee!)
Alas, this post is not about ice cream, I do apologize though, because this post isn't even about unhealthy food to stuff your face with.
It's about healthy cookies.
It's true.
The one thing I love more than sweets are sweets that are good for you.
Let me repeat that, sweets that are good for you.  I know you're probably getting ready to click away from this site since you have forever deemed me to be a liar but I kid you not.
And no, my pants aren't on fire.
There are such things as "semi-healthy sweets". I should know because I am forever trying to find ways to make things both yummy and sweet.  My greatest conquest shall be when I make a sweet pork soup which will satisfy my husband and I.... hmmm wonder what would happen if I melted chocolate in it?
Or what about sushi chocolate fondue?
okay, now I'm just being ridiculous!
Back to the cookies.
Here's the deal. I'm not into diets. I did atkins while in college and although I did lose weight, the first time I ate a piece of bread, I ate the loaf.
I have decided that cutting something out of my meal regiment probably just won't happen forever  and if I withhold it from my body, my body will just revolt! My body gets angry and rebellious when I tell it, it can't have something.
Moderation is key!  So I eat cookies and while I'm at it, try to make them healthy.
Are you bored?
Okay, I'll post the recipe and let you have at 'em!
Enjoy my pets.  You're going to be so excited to have these healthy cookies in repertoire of recipes!

Joanna's Oatmeal Craisin Cookies
(adpated from my cooking guru and life-saver: B-to-the-etty Crocker)
wow, I'm in a mood!

2/3 c granulated sugar
2/3 c  packed brown sugar
(hang with me girlfriends and boyfrie...er, boys-that-are-friends~ that's the only sugar we put in these ladies!)
1/2 c stick margarine (softened)
(I set mine on the stove while it preheats)
1/2 c applesauce
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 egg whites
3 c guick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. craisins

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees 
Beat all your ingredients except the oats, flour and craisins in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon if you missed your work-out today at the gym and need to strengthen your biceps.  Stir in the oats, flour and craisins.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Drop dough ball into mouth.
Alternate until sick!
(here's a fun fact about me that I am sure you are all dying to know.... I prefer cookies in their dough form.  I think cookies lose something when they become actual cookies.  There's just something rather sad and unappealing to me about a cookie that is actually cooked. Another fun fact~ I served raw cookie dough in little balls for my high school graduation party... no cake (ew) only cookie dough.  As far as I know no one contracted salmonella! Whew!)
Okay, once you have filled a cookie sheet bake about 9 minutes or until you've reached your desired crispness.
Because I like the dough better than the cooked, I tend to cook mine for less time.  My father, however, likes his crunchy and crisp.  So next time you're making cookies for Ed be sure to give them some more lovin'!

Eat! Enjoy!

(small disclaimer: I am not making fun of diets or even saying people shouldn't do them. I am honestly telling you that in the past taking something out of my diet only led to my over-indulging with that food type later on!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These sound great - my stomach might be able to handle these cookies! I might use whole-wheat flour. Thanks for sharing! By the way, I found a healthy cookie recipe on Food Network website for Lentil cookies!