Tuesday, June 01, 2010

May 2010

June 1st. What a day.  I have always loved June.  There's the sweet old-fashioned belief of June Brides... there are summer days to be filled with laying about and doing whatever you want to do. June is just a really pleasant month to me. Not too hot (hopefully) and just the sweet innocent days of summer.  However, you can't get to June without going through May. So let's recap shall we?


I accomplished some major goals.  I finished two sewing projects for my mom and mother-in-law.  What a blast.  I tried really hard to be sneaky but also had to ask my mom several pattern questions but I seriously loved sewing.  It was a highlight of my May.  Perusing the fabric shops, fingering samples, looking at all the patterns... the possibilities are seemingly endless which is why *fingers crossed* I'm hoping I won't get bored with this hobby.  Lord love me and He does, but I have the terrible personality trait of getting bored easily.  Growing up I did things in stages of years.  Every year I worked a different job because I was bored and ready to move on after the summer.  And I realized this... in college, I don't think I ever quit a job. I just didn't show up after the summer. Oops! Needless to say, I regret not sticking with things.  I know this is a quality from the Lord and He made me to be flexible and easily adaptable but sometimes I just sigh, look at all my long-lost hobbies and want to cry.  However, with sewing I'm hoping I won't get bored because there are so MANY options with one hobby. Curtains, pillows, handbags, toys, clothes, etc. etc.  Pray for Mikey, I'm sure in nine months of marriage he's already seen about 32 hobbies cycle through our house.



One love I have that I hope never fades away is cooking.  I successfully made and canned strawberry jam this month.  Joni was the overly ecstatic winner of my jam in my first blog giveaway and along with jam I discovered a bread recipe that even Mikey loves.  Now that is something!

Speaking of Mikey... he celebrated his 27th birthday with tons of friends, a Mexican feast and games! We had such a fun time and it reminds me of how blessed we are to have so many people who love and support us.  Happy May Birthday, baby! I love you!


May is also a time in collegiate ministry to say goodbye to our graduates.  I got the immense pleasure of not only helping with the last party but helping with flower arrangements.  I'm pretty sure this love was started with Amy Taylor's wedding.  Well, no, I'll take that back.  I've always had a love of flowers and green things but never knew much about them.  I tried to grow asparagus once and grew weeds instead.... but little bit by little bit I'm learning more about plants and gardening and realizing that I actually love this sort of thing.  Well, with the last party I was thrilled to do some centerpiece table arrangements and corsages/boutonnieres for the graduating seniors.  It was so lifegiving to me. I seriously felt like I was on cloud 9 the rest of the week.  I think I could work in a flower shop the rest of my life and be happy forever.


After we said goodbye to the seniors, we headed out to Denver and said hello to my family.  We stayed a week and a half helping watch over Waveland (my niece) while my brother and his wife had their second baby, little Cadence Danger.
Really we didn't do much but help Waveland keep a semi-normal day and then have lots of fun.  We sat 2nd row, kiddy corner from 3rd base at a Rockies game, we toured Idaho Springs (fave place), went to REI's garage sale (scored me a gardening hat, a dress and hiking boots~ woo hoo!), rode bikes, ate a lot of great food and most importantly we spent time with family.  I'm so blessed by my family.


With all the sewing, cooking and traveling I managed to finish two books... all fiction but two books just the same.
The Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L. Sayers












and What Difference Do It Make by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. The sequel to Same Kind of Different As Me.

Both books were fabulous and had me sitting in my place until I was finished.I'm planning a more extensive review on the latter book once I've finished my thoughts on it. So if you're interested, be sure to check back later.

Now, June 1st has me sitting in my parent's living room, in my pajamas, enjoying the refreshing pace of life here.  I love coming back to my roots.  So sorry poor little blog but I may not have time to tend to you for another week.
Oh, and crazy thought that I will be writing my next month update in Japan.

2 comments:

Alissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alissa said...

The bag looks great! Have fun with the family!