Sunday, March 04, 2012

is integrity dead?

Integrity... is integrity dead? Is integrity still important?  I've been wrestling with these thoughts because I overheard a conversation between believers that made me feel uncomfortable.  I wondered, "Is integrity still important?" 
Integrity, according to my handy dictionary, is "the adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty".  And in my humble opinion it is still very important and not only that but also pertinent for our generation to uphold.
Hubs and I were discussing integrity and how we had seen recent situations that were less than integritious. (I know that's not a word but I like the sound of it. May I use it? Of course I can, this is my blog.)  As I was pondering that I was driving around and accidentally parked too close to the car in front of me, and when I turned off the car, I lurched forward hitting the car.  A smaller than small scratch was left on the bumper but I had this thought of, "integrity" in my mind and i knew that if I was going to hold others to such a standard I needed to do so myself.
So I left a note.
Why am I telling you this? Why am I wasting precious baby-napping time to blog about it?  Because I want to challenge us all to think more on integrity and to be accountable to each other.  Readers, beloved friends, be full of integrity. Wasn't Jesus full of integrity? Don't we want to be more like him? Don't we want the world to stop and ask us why we're different?
Integrity is still important because it sets us apart from the world.  It says that we will not use less than honest ways to get ahead, to save a few bucks, or to entertain friends.  I don't care if you are stealing pencils from your company or littering or asking for a water cup then getting soda or using your college i.d. to get into movies for a cheaper rate~ it's still wrong.  Let's stop calling what is black or white, "grey" and live more honestly. 
And yes, I do things that are less than integritious but I really want to be accountable too.  So the next time you see me do something that smears the lines of right and wrong, let me know.  Let's call what is wrong, "wrong" and live lives set apart or holy.
Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.
Proverbs 10:9

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Preach it sister!