Sunday, March 21, 2010

sarai

In the bible's book of Genesis there is a story of a man named Abraham who at the start of his journey was known as Abram. Abram was married to Sarah who was also at the start, Sarai. Many fine messages and interesting facts have been collected, passed down and told about Abram but something occured to me about Sarai... but wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.

In Genesis 12, God calls Abram to leave his home, pack up his bags, and move into a place God is going to give him. So in their 70's Abram and Sarai pack their bags, their nephew and uproot.

The cool thing about Sarai is that Abram was called, it does not say that God spoke to both Sarai and Abram, but just Abram. I think this is so important to point out that Sarai not only as a trusting relationship with God, but also with her husband.

Why am I bringing all this up?

M and I have a very important decision to make. As a woman, I have felt every emotion of this decision. I have felt fear, excitement, adventure, worry, happiness, sadness, fear, fear and fear.... whew, did I mention fear?

But my girl, Sarai, well, she's been ministering to me. Reminding me that at 27 or 72 I better have a solid trusting relationship with the Lord and with M because He might just speak clearly to M and not so clearly to me.

Do I tell you this without an ounce of fear in my heart? Nope, as I write this hot tears threaten to roll down my cheek that communicate to me that life is scary. Marriage is scary. Trusting someone other than yourself is scary. But it's only in truly letting go that you realize you're the most "in control".

I'm so thankful that Sarai was a woman. And that as a woman now, I can learn from her life.

4 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

Jo, I'm praying for you right now, and KNOW that the Lord will fill your heart with peace as you seek Him and His will...can't wait to hear more about this transition/decision time! While they're hard, they are a beautiful opportunity to really commune with the Lord. :)

Kelli B said...

Awesome post Jo - this is a powerful message.

Ed said...

This June will mark 40 years I have 'walked in heart and hand' with a wife who has both proven and taught to me what it means to trust.

What I know of God's leading I have learned both from and with, and never apart from her.

When God has spoken most clearly to me, it is also to, sometimes through, and never in neglect of her ... just like Jesus and His Bride.

Do not think that Abram could ever have walked with God, or gone from 'exalted father' to 'the father of nations', had he not trusted WITH his wife.

He endangered her in compromising situations more than once, which shows that he had a thing or two to learn from her about trust.

Perhaps that's why God has given wives to husbands: to teach us what it really means to believe.

Trust is a thing you do together. You can't do it any other way.

And you are just a chip, not off the old, but off the beautiful block.

Unknown said...

Hey Jo,
Your last post made me laugh, I love your sense of humor....
It made me miss you so much! Matt doesn't prefer my homeade bread either, oh well.