Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken Week Recipe #3 (12)


There is no one I love quite like how I love my Grandmothers.  I think every Grandmother is like a sunny flower and mine are no exception.  So to celebrate them both, I'm including in my chicken week a recipe from one of them.  Although I may include a recipe from the other one later on.... hee hee only time will tell.

And Jamie, you seem to be my favorite fan of chicken week so I am sorry to say there is cream of mushroom soup in this recipe and although there are ways to substitute that, I feel bad not knowing if you can use this. Hopefully you can find some in Japan. ;)

Here we go....
Grandma Schupbach's Chicken Casserole
Ingredients:
1 cup of noodles (cooked in chicken broth, did you save yours? We did and used it! Yay!)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup/mushroom soup (either or)
1 cup of mushrooms fresh (or 1 can)
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 c milk
1 c cheese
2 c of chicken (cooked please, if you're not using cooked chicken)
bread crumbs

Now what?
mix all the ingredients together, put it in a casserole dish, top with  bread crumbs.  Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. You want the bread crumbs browned and the casserole bubbly.

With two people eating it we barely touched half of it.  So this amount could work for 3-4 people perhaps or two and leftovers for tomorrow. Woo hoo!!

Say what? Secret hint:
My beloved Grandma makes this recipe doubled.  She freezes the casserole, thaws it when she wants it and bakes it at that time.  I have done this and it was SO convenient to have a hot meal that was also homemade in my freezer waiting to be cooked. Just put it out on the countertop a couple hours before hand or put it in the refrigerator a day or two ahead of time. :)

Voila!!

1 comment:

Kelli B said...

I am loving your week of the chicken! I'm going to try some of these recipes. I love options you can freeze like this too. Nice!