Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Perspective

*I cared not where or how I lived, or what hardships I went through so that I could but gain souls for Christ. While I was asleep I dreamed of these things, and when I awoke the first thing I thought of was this great work. All my desire was for the conversion of the heathen, and all my hope was in God* David Brainerd (quoted in Piper's "Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood")
I don't want to say too much because I don't want to take away from the thoughts that this quote produces... but my heart is pondering some things... read on if you dare.
May God grant me a heart that is so submissive to His greater work like Brainerd's quote above. I am out in Colorado Springs finishing up my training (state side) for Japan. And it has been a heavy two days. The first day was basic heart issues and I received some hard news about a friend.
God is definitely preparing me for something big and I can't quite put my finger on it. Although in all reality God never intends to be pinned down by my idea of "something big". My idea of something big is nothing compared to what He offers me.
I have often heard it said that we must say no or give up some things that are good in order for God to give us something better.
Have I done that? Am I willing to do that?
My heart is heavy with friends who are suffering and who are walking in darkness...
My heart aches, because I long to fight the great battles and be bold like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. I heard a speaker once say that the LORD could have stopped those three from entering the fiery furnace (check out Daniel 3 if you haven't read the story). God could have saved them and glorified His name by turning off the furnace or preventing them from entering it. YET, it was their faith, that even if God did not save them from the fiery furnace they would still not serve the King's gods or the golden image. (Dan. 3:16-18) So the King threw them in and they were probably thinking, "Well, goodbye guys! See you on the other side!" But the BEST part of the story is that when they entered the furnace GOD MET THEM THERE!!
Sometimes God wants to meet with us in the midst of our fiery furnace. Wait! Let me say that again so it can sink in, GOD WANTS TO MEET US IN THE MIDST OF OUR FIERY FURNACE!!
And not only meet us but glorify Himself through our faith that travels us there. It's true that those three guys "knew" they were about to descend into the furnace, but it was "unknown" to them what God's outcome would be. Could God have been glorified through those three men dying for His name? You bet!! But God chose that time and place to meet with the three guys to show that even in our fiery furnaces He can and wants to meet us where it's hot.
...
I don't know if this makes any sense. I feel like with training I am being refined by fire, in my own little furnace in a way. I'm just thinking, jotting down thoughts as I stare at this screen.
...
*And they hae conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death* Revelation 12:11
Lord, place in me the Spirit of boldness. That I would be like those three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who did not know their fates but stood firm on the Truth that YOU are better than even life. I lay down all the "good" and even the sin I choose in my life and I wait for Your best. Lord, place in me a patient heart, that I may sit at Your feet and wait. God, sometimes waiting is so hard but I choose to wait for what You will do in my life. And I pray this for my friends. May they choose You today.

No comments: