Monday, May 15, 2006

Building Bridges

I wanted to let you know about an opportunity you have to make a difference. (and buy some stinkin' cool jewelry)

Go to: http://www.beadforlife.com
and check this out.

I don't know much about it (thanks Bev for actually directing me to it) but I was really impressed. These African women make necklaces, bracelets, anklets, etc. to raise wages for communities who have been destroyed by war and AIDS. They invest the money into health, education and training, saving and finances, and affordable housing.

If you go to their page you get to read about each of the beadmakers and see their pictures... these women are so beautiful and the work of their hands, I pray is blessed.

Man, guys! I don't know much about this group but can I just say something about our lives....

We have such a short time to make a difference, to do something that counts, to be a light and bring the Light into the darkness. We are given ONE life. That's it. And if you are like me, you have probably wondered, "What can I do? I am only one person." or "What can I do, I live in Iowa and they live in Africa?"

Well, here is your chance to look into this group and buy some funky jewelry. Hey, my birthday is coming up in September (ha ha)! But besides that, think about what you are contributing to with $20. You are giving to a community that desires change and development.

If you don't want to buy their jewelry, that's fine. For me, personally I think it's pretty sweet jewelry though, better than the junk I've bought at Wal-mart. ha ha But just take a minute, go to their page and pray for them. They need your prayers as well as your physical action.

And like the beadteam says, "We know you will enjoy them, while helping build a heartfelt bridge between Uganda and the citizens of North America."

Beadforlife I applaude you! Thank you for teaching me that to help others is not limited to our physical location but to our heart condition. I pray that God will bless the hands that make the jewelry and those that receive that jewelry~ that He will receive all the glory.

4 comments:

Kelli B said...

love em my friend. love the beads, love the peeps. Thanks for sharing.

I've grown in my heart for Uganda...I dont know why. It was on my blog to pray for...I talk about it all the time with Amy Wass...hmm...

Joanna Kay said...

No problem... if I were your neighbor I'd throw you a bead party. I would buy you necklace and we'd pray for Uganda together. But since I am only but your humble best friend I'll just dream of a day when we can get up at the crack of dawn and pray together. Man, I'd give my left eyeball to be able to be back at SMR praying with you. But oh, think of where we've come from since then and what we've done and things we've learned about each other. Whoa! Never mind, I don't want to go back then I want to stay right here in today with you... because this is the Kelli that I love. And tomorrow you and I can only get better... yes, i love being completed... it can only get better sister for us, isn't that exciting? Anyway, I am now posting on my own blog which indicates I should go to bed.... I love you

Kelli B said...

You're simply great Joanna. Simply great.

Keith said...

So I needed to buy a gift for my Sensai because I ahve finished Language School. (No I am not fluent! In fact I'm not really even speaking sentences yet.)

Anyway I was thinking what kind of gift should I get her. She loves to travel and your post jumped to my mind.

I wanted to get something before but being a guy I didn't really have a use for a necklace.

So I just called and placed and order and it will be in the mail today. I talked with Laura and she wanted to check out your blog since that's how I heard about them.

Thanks for the amazing gift idea.