Thursday, May 25, 2006

To You

I was standing on your roof tonight,
watching your life go by,
your life contained in
the buses that get their fill,
the people who run to exercise,
the mothers with strollers,
the lights of fancy hotels,
the memories of "this is where I" and "that's where that".

I was standing on your roof,
from where you cursed,
from where you wondered what you were doing there,
from where you humbled yourself before the Lord,
from where you met your friend in prayer,
and where you said goodbye.

I was walking down the street
and suddenly it hit me
I had forgotten for a moment
in time
but now I remember.

I was standing on the train,
the crowded train
with it's people in your face
and their knees in that
oh-so-tender-when-you-push-it-right muscle
right above your own knee
with their armpits raised so it smells like old onions
and their hot breath making you sickly clausterphobic.
Yeah, I was on that train.
And if that wasn't bad enough
I was pressed against a man who looked like he had had
a
long
long
day
and all I could do
was
cry
into
his
shoulder.

I cried on the train
I cried because you hurt my feelings tonight...
I cried because the whole way home all I could think of was,
"There's gotta be another way to live life and not cry myself to sleep every night."

These years are going to stretch me,
these years are going to test me,
I've never trusted Him this much
and I think I'm going to be worn thin.

I was standing on your roof tonight...
watching your life go by,
your life contained in
the boys who love you,
the men who follow you,
the team who had a gap you filled.

I was standing on your roof tonight when I realized,
I guess I'd rather cry for you then feel nothing at all.

6 comments:

Kelli B said...

jo...i just want to say i love you. i feel your depth today. all the emotions. ***hug***

Anonymous said...

When it says this blog was "posted by Joanna Kay at 1:10am", does it mean 1:10am your time or 1:10am my time?

Joanna Kay said...

1:10AM my time. Just like it says, Kelli posted at 3:33AM ~ that would be MY time. You are such a random post-er Jordan. I love it. I miss you!

Kelli B said...

Jordan, good question. I've often wondered that myself. Interesting...

Ed said...

George MacDonald said something to the effect that the "fire of God" is not like it's earthly counterpart in one way in particular:

It burns worse the further we are from Him.

The closer we are the more purifying it is.

It is His Fire, nonetheless.

So the tears.

He (loves and) counts and keeps them all that flow for His sake. (That's in the Psalms.)

emily said...

I was blessed by the comment about tears. "He (loves and) counts and keeps them all that flow for his sake." Thanks Ed! He has kept many from me. Jo, you are so beautifully real. I love that about you!