Friday, January 25, 2008

So I read this great thing...

by Oswald Chambers... Mikey asked me recently if I wanted to read "My Upmost for His Highest" with him. We could read it and then discuss what we've been learning. We've done it once thus far and it's been exciting.
Way to go Mikey!! Connecting with me through a book is like asking me if I wanted to eat mint chocolate chip ice cream. :D He's great.
HOWEVER, I haven't been able to stop talking about this book. I feel like everytime I see my teammates I preface our conversation with, "So I read this really great thing by Oswald Chambers" or "Oswald Chambers made a comment about that once."
Today over fish and rice I told Jennifer that me quoting Os might be the flavour of my spring/summer here. :D Every staff meeting I will walk in, enlightened by Mr. Chambers and try to enlighten my staff. :D ha ha ha
No seriously. It's my first time reading it and I'm so glad I am.
My favorite quote thus far is,
*Never try and help God fulfill His word. Abraham went through thirteen years of silence, but in those years all self-sufficiency was destroyed; there was no possibility left of relying on common-sense ways. Those years of silence were a time of discipline, not of displeasure. Never pump up joy and confidence but stay upon God.*
or
*Service is the overflow of superabounding devotion... God gets me into a relationship with Himself whereby I understand His call, then I do things out of sheer love for Him on my account. To serve God is the deliberate love-gift of a nature that has heard the call of God.*
or (last one i promise)
(Speaking about Paul's calling and mission) *Paul was called to a Person not a cause. He was absolutely Jesus Christ's, he saw nothing else.*
(p.s. that picture is my favorite of the moment. all the books and journaling i want to do this spring break!! I love reading!)

2 comments:

Kelli B said...

I love reading "with" people - it's so much better to discuss what you read so you can chew on it, dissect it, be enlightened by another's point of view, and grow.
We did try and do Persuasion...remember how FAST you were at it? I finished at my own pace...and LOVED it. I will share the memory of it with you, even though we never discussed it much! LEt's try again...wanna pick another book?
PS - i believe i see the Journal in that pile. We should name it. Name the journal. I love that we're still doing this after 2 years. Let's keep it going! It will continue to be filled with our adventures and memories and seasons. Beautiful.
Love you my friend.

Angie said...

I LOVE this book! Way to go Mikey for suggesting it. I have given up referencing it when I write quotes in my journal. I just assume now that if it's a quote with just a page number, it's Chambers.