Thursday, July 17, 2008

abundance


Recently, funding/money/giving/tithing has been on my mind. Probably because I am in the midst of fundraising for my time at UCLA. It's easy to become consumed with it when I have a goal I am praying to make and the goal seems "impossible".
Reading through the Old Testament has been good for me because God is continually doing the "impossible" through His people the Israelites.
(side note: I am aware that God does the impossible in the NT as well.)

One thing that stood out to me in particular was the giving patterns of the Israelites.
2 Chronicles 31:4-5 is one example of this.
And he commanded the people who lived in Jerusalem to give the portion due to the priests and the Levites, that they might give themselves to the Law of the LORD. As soon as the command was spread abroad, the people of Israel gave in abundance the firstfruits of grain, wine, oil, honey, and of all the produce of the field. And they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything.

Now... I'm not posting this to challenge anyone to give specifically to me...
althought if it does inspire you to become my donor, let me know...
I am hoping to challenge myself and anyone else to consider your tithing more carefully.

I've been on both ends of the fundraising pole. I've been asked and I've asked.
I want to adopt an attitude that gives in abundance and gives from my firstfruit. I think my attitude has been more "held back"...
Anyway, just some thoughts as I live life.
What are some of your thoughts on giving? tithing?
Is there anything you wish people who fundraise knew?

No comments: