Friday, February 10, 2006

Blank Canvas

Words cannot express...
so what can I offer?
I have nothing pretty...
I'm a filled canvas.

My life started with a weave
with a word,
freshness and softness.
But sin crept in, no stormed in
and I was changed.

Can I be a blank canvas?
Can I have Your heart in me...
Or will I forever be influenced
by the things that have influenced me,
the people,
the prayers,
the love,
the sadness.
Can I be a blank canvas?
Or will I forever be... me?

How can I go back,
Can I have that soft skin...
That newness...
That melting of flesh and soul.

Now I feel I'm melting but more like
drowning...
I can't get past this prayer.
I want to pray for something new,
something different.

I want to be new
I want to be fresh
I want to know life without sin.
A blank canvas, knowing no sorrow...
But clearing the canvas takes away
laughter
joy
takes away from the ways You have
worked,
molded,
sculpted.
Your faithfulness through
the years,
the pain,
the joys,
the laughter
So here I am!
I'm skin
I'm heart
I'm soul
I'm your canvas, Lord.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So rest in being the Lord's canvas to paint your life's picture as He chooses and allows. You may not feel the softness and the freshness of the canvas pre-sin, pre-influences, pre-living life... but they're still there...they are still you and always will be part of the color scheme. New colors are continually being added that reflect the changes, the good, the adventures, your walk...rest in the Lord and let Him paint away. He has big plans for your canvas!

Joanna Kay said...

I like when people leave their names... so I know who is enjoying my attempt at poetry. :)

Thanks Mom for your love and support. Wow! You are amazing. You are the world's greatest and most faithful cheerleader. I love you so!

Angie said...

so i get this message on my phone this morning and i hear a very loud voice say "SO I GOT A PHONE CALL FROM JAPAN TODAY!!!"

good job, although i hear there was a giggle fit. not that i'm surprised.

Emily (Christensen) Henry said...

I stumbled upon your blog by way of Kelli Burrier. She and I went to college together. I was so moved by this poem, moved nearly to tears. It's beautiful, it's real, it's so true. I can identify with it so much! Be blessed! (I also noticed that Ange posted a comment, and I know Crissa Stephens super well who is friends with Ange....um this is weird. have we ever met?)
Emily

Anonymous said...

Jo-
I love you!!!! And I miss you bunches! I'm up right now reading your blog instead of writing my Bio research proposal (due last week) AND I'm actually drinking coffee, which I HATE and never drink but that's how desperate I am to stay awake! I just wanted you to know I miss you. E-mail me sometime when you have time: lindseykaupp@gmail.com. Your dad's keeping me busy in Major World Religions, but I usually have to put off his homework for the other projects I'm behind on. Boy it must feel good to be done.
*sigh*
Love ya hon!
Linds