Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Stars...

I've always been fascinated by the stars... from my days of living as a young girl in the country and being able to count all the stars (or trying to) I've loved looking up at them and just thinking of God's amazing hand upon my life.

I was thinking that tonight as I drove home from Kalamazoo... I finished my last roadtrip for now and have finished all my long-distance goodbyes. Starting tomorrow friends and family will trickle into my small home to wish me good luck, say a prayer, and bid me farewell as I travel to Japan.

The stars were out tonight, not as bright as they shine in a country sky but I could see some of the constellations and was in deep thought as I looked at them (while not taking my eyes off the road). I thought of the verses in Job 38 where God is answering Job, when he questions God's hand upon his life.

God says, *"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone- while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?* (verses 4-7)

I think of how God has been faithful to create and to work in my life, not to mention all around me. I think of how I can't always see too far ahead of me, but how God has always been faithful to guide me and lead me. I may not always understand or even know what God is doing specifically in my life, but I know that His best is what I desire.

I also thought of the verses in Philippians 2 *Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.* (verses 14-16)

As fascinated as I have been with the stars, I want to devote that energy to the Lord and I want to be fascinated with Him and what He is doing. I want to do things without complaint and without arguing... I want to become blameless and pure so that I can shine like a star in a crooked and depraved world...

Lord, thank you that this is not as good as "joanna" gets. Thank you that You are continually doing a work in me. Thank You that You will not give up on me, You will not quit the work of my life until it has been brought to completion. Thank you for being You and thank You for the opportunities You have laid before me. I pray that I would shine You and live each day pursuing You, Lord. I trust in You and trust in what Your hand will do with my life...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanna,
Thanks for letting me be able to write here. I loved this star piece and especially your prayer. I remember how you always loved to look at the stars. Soon you'll be looking at the same ones I see but from a new place. I KNOW you will shine for Jesus wherever you are...you always have, always will.
Thank you for being my missionary hands and feet to Japan. I heart you! You're the best! :)

Joanna Kay said...

Thanks Mom! You have always been my biggest fan. I am lucky to have parents who laugh with me and cry with me. You make the opportunity to Japan a possibility. Thank you for giving me to Jesus the day I was born. I love you!