Friday, December 30, 2005

Three things

Coming back from Karuizawa, Holly, Kyle, and I played "hot seat" the car version.
For those of you who don't know the game "hot seat" let me explain. One person sits in a seat and has about five minutes to answer any question that the other members of the group ask. It's a great way to get to know someone. The car version game is different because instead of one person being in the hot seat, everyone is. Everyone asks one question, you go around and everyone answers it, and then the next person answers. And so on and so forth.

Kyle asked the question, "What are three things you have learned from your father?" And so I wanted to let my father know (and whoever else) what my answer was. (and then follow that with my own answer of what my mother has taught me)
1. My love of bike riding or being active. My Dad climbed Long's Peak about 27 years ago and then ago on his 25 anniversary he climbed it with three of his children. Talk about being adventurous! He loves to exercise and challenge himself. I love that my father does not "act his age" but continues to be young in both body and spirit. :)
2. The ability to study the Word continuously through life, over a long period of time, and continue to be a learner. My father, who is a pastor, has studied God's Word profusely through his Christian life... over 30 years. He never tires of reading it, never tires of learning from it, and never tires of sharing what God is doing. He has remained flexible through life, allowing God to bend and stretch him as time passes.
3. My love for people. My father could have a conversation with a brick wall, if it meant he got to share about Jesus. My Dad can relate himself to people with long hair, multiple piercings, and tattoos while he himself has none(piercings and tattoos, he still has hair;) ). He can talk to you over a cup of coffee, late in the night or early in the morning. My Dad longs to give his life away and does so. My Dad is quick to say hello to people as he walks down the street.

Three things I learned from my mother:
1. The importance in telling the Truth. My mother and I had a rough patch of time when I found it easier to deceive her then to disappoint her. However, she taught me that honesty is the best way to be with people and that the "Truth will set you free"
2. The importance of being lady-like. Oh, Mom~ how I wish I were better at being a lady and not so much like my brothers. :) But I value the lady-like qualities I do possess and long for the Lord to make me into a gentle woman, like my mother.
3. Even when life doesn't make sense, God is still doing something. To make a long story short, there are questions we all have in life~ and my mother has taught me that even when God doesn't make sense, He is still working in our lives and doing something better than we could imagine. My mother has patiently and prayerfully clung to the Lord and lifted all of us children (and my sister-in-laws) up to the Lord.

If you are wondering why I am doing this~ you should know that I wouldn't be who and where I am today if not for my parents. My parents patiently loved and supported me through my years... Thank you Mom and Dad for loving me and "giving me away".

3 comments:

Ed said...

Thank you, Jo -- though I am laughing hard right now.

I have this picture of some hairy, non-pierced, plain-skinned straight Dude sitting all alone and cross-legged trying to strike up a conversation with a brick wall.

Hmmmmm, maybe that's my weight- control problem - no piercings.

What I need is a good, slow leak!

Love you,

Dad

Anonymous said...

The picture says it all, Jer.

Joanna Kay said...

Yay! Jer! I've learned a lot in life from you! My love for the Bears, my desire to live in Denver, and my sweet love of "ceese chake"!