Monday, February 01, 2010

January 2010

I got this idea this morning from Passionate Homemaking blog and am thrilled with the idea of a "recap". She writes about the month; reviewing her goals and the new happenings in her home. I'm really wanting to do this because I think it will help me remember where I've come from and direct me towards where I want to go. So here I go... a moment to remember January.

January started with Mikey and I still in Illinois. When we came home we took a long weekend and went to Tahoe to snowboard with two friends, Vic and Dave. Both of whom are amazing men, very interesting and very funny guys and both of whom are *ahem* single! Just sayin' After the trip, Mikey and I had about two weeks of "whatever-we-want-to-do-preparing-for-the-new-semester" time. It was WONDERFUL! I loved the extended time with my husband and we managed to get a lot done. We put up pictures on our walls, I unpacked a box from my September moving days and we genuinely had fun and enjoyed each other. It was great.

In January, I read two books; The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club and Clouds of Witness both by Dorothy L. Sayers. Now I'm reading a collection of Sayers' short stories and The Master's Plan of Evangelism by Robert E. Coleman. My goal for 2010 is trying to read at least 10 books and it's been fun to try and divide my time between fiction and non-fiction. I definitely get through the fiction faster but it's because I'm often stopped by the words in the non-fiction that point me to Jesus and a deeper relationship with Him.

This month, I decided to take crocheting more seriously. I have a couple of projects that I am trying to finish this spring/summer before I start any other hobbies or projects. Pray for me~ I'm notoriously a "more starts than finishes" kind of girl. :)

This month I have had some cooking disasters. I made "molded bread" which is bread you don't put in a pan, you let it rise and bake on it's own ability to form itself.... mine ended up looking like a large mouth bass. I also had the infamous egg bake moment. Where I was trying to balance a heavy and slippery (cause of the towels keeping my hands from burning) pyrex dish FULL of yummy egg bake and saw it slip from my hands onto the concrete of my alleyway. If you don't know what happened next, I'll tell you... I cried and cried and cried. This story which I told my mother, father and grandparents ten minutes after it happened, crying the whole time, spurred my grandparents on to sending me a check to purchase a new dish (Grandmother's instructions are to get a new one with a basket with handles) to replace the broken one which laid then in our dumpster.

I've also had a baking success with a new chicken recipe. It's fast, it's amazing and it is healthy. Balsamic Chicken! Maybe I'll post on that later!

I've also seen how perfect my husband and I are matched. He is so steady in his emotions while... I... well, I mean come on! I was crying over egg bake! But he is so good to me and even if he doesn't understand why I'm crying he still is quick to give me a hug and hold me.

This month has been good. I'm looking forward to February though, to be honest. There are so many recipes to blunder, stories to have happen and laughter to be had that I am glad for this new day. I'm also extremely excited that my brother Jordan, his wife Rochelle, their daughter Waveland and unborn baby Doug will be staying for 5 days at the end of February! I couldn't be more excited!

1 comment:

spartacus21 said...

oooh...i may want that chicken recipe!