Saturday, April 23, 2011

moods and memorization

Either I have writers block or I am not as interesting as I like to think that I am but gosh, I just cannot sit down to write a blog that I think would be entertaining.
Is it me or do pregnant people have slower minds? Seriously.

To top things off today I'm mood swinging, so I am actually feeling a bit weepy about the whole not being able to write a decent blog issue and wish I could just blow some steam.
Pffffft!!
Moods are an interesting thing, aren't they?  As a woman I have had to learn and relearn and relearn and discipline myself to follow through on the fact that feelings and moods and emotions are fleeting.  They feel very real because well, it's how I'm feeling.  But the truth is that they are not always Truth.  Emotions can be mean to me. And moods, well, those are always (as of lately) swinging.
So what is stable in life?  What grounds me?
And that is SCRIPTURE!
More and more I'm finding how wonderful it is to be slowly memorizing scripture in my life.  It's so important for me to speak Truth to myself when I'm not necessarily feeling it. 
Recently, Hubs and I were caught in some nasty turbulence.  I'd like to say I handled it like a champ but to be honest I fuh-reaked out and was crying like a baby.  Probably like two babies with all the hormones I got going on.  I was feeling vulnerable and seriously imagining my death.  We were in a small commuter plane and bouncing around like popcorn being popped.  I was sobbing and telling Hubs, "I can't do this. I can't do this."
And then I thought of Isaiah 26:3 which I had memorized which says, "He will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in You."
And I repeated that to myself over and over and over again.
Naturally I freaked out the lady next to me who pulled out her barf bag and stared at me until we landed but it brought me so much comfort to know that not only could I ask God to give me peace but He actually promises to give me peace.
I realized memorizing scripture helps us to connect to God in more than just a "feel good" way.  It also helps His word to come alive for us.
If I can encourage you in any way, I would definitely say memorizing scripture is useful for us to connect and be "in step" with our Father.  It helps us to keep in mind the things that are on God's mind and reminds us of the Truth when our emotions tell us otherwise.

So today, although I am feeling somewhat emotional about life I can recall to mind the promises God has given to me through His word and bank on the Truth of what He says.

What verses have you memorized that have later come to mind? (scary situation or not)

No comments: