Thursday, August 06, 2009

one heart, one passion

I liked what this guy said on my friend Zach's blog. He was talking about the verse, "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God." (Matthew 5:8) and he mentions how really pure in heart means "singleness of heart" or having one passion; which is following God.

He says, "Maybe an expanded translation of the verse, using this idea (of singleness of heart), might help us to get at another aspect of the meaning: 'Blessed are those who are solely committed to seeking and knowing God. Blessed are those whose hearts are committed to this pursuit, for they will find what they're looking for. Blessed are the fixated. Blessed are the ones with they holy obsession. Blessed are the ones who run hard after Him."

This reminded me of a thought I've had recently about my Great Aunt Esther, who as she was dying stretched out her arms and reached for heaven as she entered it.

How do you live such a life that you die with your arms reached for what you've been longing for?

Maybe I'm thinking too deeply for tonight but these thoughts have come to my mind and heart. I want to live a life that is impassioned for One.

No comments: